Thursday, September 11, 2008

Cartoon Book Harvesting


After a day of searching and nozing around in dozens of bookstalls and boxes in Lille (France) I can proudly present to you my Cartoon Book Harvest.
I know buying cartoon books on eBay is far less labour intensive, but finding a rare cartoon book for a bargain price in a book stall gives a feeling of unspeakable happiness for a collector. And you don't have to pay shipping costs!

Cartoon books are quite rare in comparison with comic strips. I usually find them by looking at their different shape. I was lucky this year. In one of the first boxes I searched, I found "Carton - les cahiers du dessin D'humour", a special magazine edition with drawings and articles about Sempé (1974). In the same box there was "Sex Made Man" by Stambuk (1979). My first 4 euro were spent well! Rather easy to find were some books of Claude Serre. I bought "Humour Noir et Hommes en Blanc" for a collegue who's just been in the hospital. Because laughter is the best medicine. A bit further I found "Touchons du bois" by Pouzet (1968) and "Jazz " by Blachon, Bridenne and Samson (2005, dedicated to Duke & Lington). Another book was "Honoréquiem" by Honoré (1986) and "L'Animalier" by Chaval (1970).


At last, I found some books I already had in my collection. Having doubles can be usefull in time.
"Zoo au logis" '(Claude Serre, 1992 edition), "Saison des Amours" (Bridenne, 1983) and "Mordillo - Safari" (1990).

here I just bought a Sempé and Stambuk

The 3 books below I found quite interesting. The Quino Mafalda 3 (comic strip) has a typographical error: the hard cover is printed upside down. You only can see that when opening the book. When I noticed that mistake I thought at the "Inverted Jenny" stamp (sold 525.000
usd in 2005) and I bought the book. I'll tell you when I receive my money when I sell this book! For 3 euro I bought "the complete collection of the 12 untraceable editions of l'Enragé in 1968" (collection complète des 12 numéros introuvables de 1969), published in 1988, with drawings of Bosc, Siné, Topor, Reiser, Wolinski etc. At last there is "Where is Wally" by Martin Handford in a Spanish version. Later on, I'll tell you about this book.

All this books provide stuff for many articles to come... so keep visiting this blog.

Read more:
my Braderie 2008 Pics Gallery
Braderie 2007

No comments: