Sunday, July 10, 2011

Rembrandt, Asterix and Obelix

The painting 'The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp' (1632) by the famous Dutch painter Rembrandt van Rijn (1606-1669) was and is a source of inspiration for many comic drawings and cartoons.  (update May 17,2020: discover Rembrandt on the renewed Rembrandt website with details about The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp )

Last week I read an article about the historical facts and similarities in the comic books of Asterix where I found the Rembrandt-inspired scene. (scene from Asterix and theSoothsayer)



I searched in some cartoonbooks, and what I found, cartoons inspired by Rembrandt, you see below:

Henryk Berg (Germany) in the catalogue of the Cartoon Festival of Knokke-Heist 1981:



And Karl Meersman in VIPS TOO in 2010:

The Fact-finding committee (Fortis Bank crisis)


On the internet you can find other examples.
If you find a Rembrandt inspired cartoon in a cartoon book, let me know!

No comments: