Wednesday, June 23, 2010

One of Belgiums finest cartoonists: GAL (Gerard Alsteens)

To present to you the art of GAL (Gerard Alsteens), I wanted to present the book "GAL: De overspannen jaren. Opgetekend van 1960 tot 1996 van Johan Anthierens" (1996). The bad news is that I don't own this book and that the book is sold out. The good news is that this book can be read en browsed through on the internet.
If you join the Gal Facebook page, you'll find the link. Or you can go immediately to dbnl.org to see or dowload the whole book for free!

I my collection I have this thin catalogue of Gal's expostion in Venice in 1980. It's quite rare.






Another book by Gal is the book below. It's a collection of his political drawings between 1970 and 1977, published in 1977 (by Standaard Uitgeverij, Antwerpen). I bought this book second hand for 0,5 euro at a used book sale from our local library.

Jimmy Carter

British Labour government, Harold Wilson (1974)


Poor and rich in this world

Vietnam, 1975

Learn more:
GAL on Presscartoon Belgium (with cartoons and art)
English biography
See Gal at work in this video interview (Videozone - Cobra.be)

No comments: