Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Skulls, skeletons and bones

Last week, I was at the seaside in Koksijde . Outside it was very hot... too hot. My family was at the beach, so I sought a bit of shadow (and culture) and attended a guided tour at the exposition 'Dancing with Dead' in the attractive Museum Ten Duinen. With arco!

"The ‘Dancing with Death’ exhibition illustrates the attitude of man towards death, inside and outside the abbeywalls, from the 12th till the 21st Century.

With manuscripts of the Great Seminary in Bruges and the Catharijne convent in Utrecht, outstanding objects and graphic work by Wim Delvoye, Pierre Alechinsky, Paul Delvaux, Frans Masereel, James Ensor, Käthe Kollwitz, Félicien Rops, Hans Holbein and others besides."

What I didn't expect, was there were several interesting old caricatures to spot. Of course, afterwards, I mailed our guide some contemporary skeletons and bones cartoons. Some of these cartoons would have earned a place at the exhibition.That's my opinion.

For those who are interested in "morbid" cartoons, I refer to the book "Savoir vivre" (Glénat, 1981) by master cartoonist Claude Serre (1938-1998). In that book Serre laughts and plays with dead. 1 of the 3 cartoons is from another Claude Serre book. Who tells me which book?

Claude Serre - "Savoir Vivre - 1981, edition 1998)




Here are some more skeletons and bones cartoons...


Botezato (source: Anti-narcotics cartoon
exhibition catalogue, Tehran, 1997)




Read more:
Savoir Vivre Cartoonbooks file:

Some other Serre cartoons at Irancartoon

No comments: